SUFFIELD, 3½ miles W. by N. of North Walsham, and 4½ miles N. E. by N. of Aylsham, has in its parish 249 souls, and 1452 A. of land, all the property of Lord Suffield, who derives his title from this place. (See Gunton, page 757.) The ancient Hall was converted into a farm-house by the late Lord Suffield, who built a neat School here, which has a small endowment for 16 poor children, left by a former Lady Suffield. The CHURCH (St. Margaret,) has a square tower, and the benefice is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £14, and now having 8A. 3R. 32P. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £352. 10s., awarded in 1841, in lieu of tithes. It is in the gift of Lord Suffield, and incumbency of the Rev. Chas Heath, together with Gunton and Hanworth. Thos. Bulwer left to the poor of Suffield, in 1693, £100, which was laid out in land, now comprising 10A., let for £12. 10s. In 1682, the Rev. Thos. Symonds left £100 for the relief of six poor widows, and it was laid out in 12A. of land, now let for £15 per annum. Directory:- Mrs. Mary Brown; Edward Carter, vict., Suffield Arms; William and Richard Dyball, joiners and wheelwrights; Thomas Harriman, parish clerk; Maru Ann Seppings, schoolmrs.; Herman Slaughter, shopkeeper; and Thomas Cook, (Rookery), Adam Farrow, John Kendle, Richd. Lacey, James Lacey, Adam Matthews, Charles Le Neve, George Overton, (and shoemaker,) Wm. Wild, (Elm,) and Wm. Woods, farmers.
© Transcribed by E C ("Paddy") Apling, February 2001; links updated January 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
North Erpingham hundred
Census Transcripts for 1841; 1851; 1881 and 1891 [all Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
White's 1854; Kelly's 1933 and 1882
Suffield postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Suffield [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page