1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Surlingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Surlingham postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Wheatfen Broad [Continuing the work of naturalist Ted Ellis]
More on Surlingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Surlingham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.507.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

SURLINGHAM is a village and parish 1½ miles south of Brundall station, on the Norwich and Yarmouth railway, 6 miles east from Norwich and 1½ from Postwick by ferry, in the vale of the navigable Yare, surrounded by marshes, in the Southern division of the county, Henstead hundred and union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a small old building, with tower, round at the bottom and octagonal at the top, containing 4 bells. The register, the early part of which is kept in Latin, dates from the reign of Queen Elizabeth. The living of Surlingham St. Mary is a vicarage, with that of St. Saviour annexed, joint yearly value £120, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1836 by the Rev. John Scott M.A. of King's College, Cambridge The Rev. W. Collett is impropriator of the rectorial tithes commuted at £309. The tower, mantled with ivy, and part of the walls o an old church, dedicated to St. Saviour, are still visible. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. The fuel allotment of 23 acres is let for £14 yearly. Here is a broad of 70 acres. The chief landowners are Robert Pratt esq. of Hill house, Sir Charles Rich bart. and Mr. Samuel Barnes. C. E. Tuck esq. is also a landowner and lord of the manor. The soil is mixed; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, &c. The area is 1,7767 acres; rateable value, £3,312; and the population in 1881 was 486.

POST OFFICE.—Richard Osborne, sub-postmaster. Letters through Norwich arrive by foot post from Trowse, at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 4 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Trowse

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875; H. H. Cole, Norwich, clerk to the Board
Board School to hold 100 children; average attendance, 90; Miss Barker, mistress

CARRIER TO NORWICH.—Leonard Aldis, wed. & sat

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, April 2005; spelling corrections January 2010; links updated July 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Surlingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Surlingham postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Wheatfen Broad [Continuing the work of naturalist Ted Ellis]
More on Surlingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page