1891 Census index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sustead Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Sustead [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Sustead

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 507-8.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

SUSTEAD is a parish about 4171 miles south-by-west from Cromer, 8½ from North Walsham and 6 north-west from Gunton station, in the Northern division of the county, North Erpingham hundred, Erpingham union, Holt county court district, rural deanery of Repps, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The Church of SS. Peter & Paul is a small building of flint, chiefly in the Decorated and Early English styles, consisting of chancel and nave, with a round tower. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £34, in the gift of R. W. Ketton esq. of Felbrigg hall, and held since 1873 by the Rev. Skeffington Armstrong B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, who is also rectory of Bessingham R. W. Keton esq. is lord of the manor amd principal landowner. The soil is light; subsoil, gavel. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 522 acres, chiefly arable; rateable vaue, £976; and the population in 1991 was 116.——Letters received through Norwich, viā Hanworth, at.8.15 a.m.; dispatched at 2.35 p.m. Hanworth is the nearest money order office

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, December 2007; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sustead Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Sustead [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page