SUTTON, a village and parish 1 mile N. of Stalham, and 10 miles S.E. of North Walsham, has 355 souls, 86 houses, and 1,310 acres of land, and the copyholders are subject to a fine of 4s. per acre, on the death of the lord, or change of tenant. The Earl of Abergavenny is patron of the Church and lord of the manor, which has an out-soke jurisdiction, extending to Catfield, Hickling, &c. The chief land owners are Messrs George S. Barber, Robert Crowe, John Durrant, and John Rudd. The Church, dedicated to St. Michael, has recently been thoroughly repaired and repewed, and increased accommodation been provided for the poor. A beautiful stained glass window has taken the place of the former unsightly one in the chancel, the greater portion of the expense having been paid by the worthy rector. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £6 16s. 8d., and now enjoyed by the Rev. Bernard Moore, M.A. The tithes were commuted in 1839, for £325. A neat Primitive Methodist Chapel was built here, in 1846. The Poor's Allotment, 80a. awarded at the enclosure, in 1809, is chiefly covered with water. The poor have the interest of £30, left by an unknown donor.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Sutton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Sutton towermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Sutton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andew Rivett]