1891 Census Names Index
Tunstead hundred
Smallburgh union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Swafield watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Swafield archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Swafield [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Swafield

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 549

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2002]

SWAFIELD, 1½ mile N. of North Walsham, is a parish near the source of the river Ant, which contains 650 acres of land, 45 houses, and 181 souls. Lord Suffield is lord of the manor ; but Thos. Dolphin, Esq., and Mr. Henry Wrench are the principal land owners, and have neat residences here. About 150 acres belong to the Clergymen's Widows' Fund. The Church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, has an embattled tower and some remains of a beautiful screen. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's book at £6, in the gift of the Queen, as Duchess of Lancaster, and incumbency of the Rev. John Thos. Layard. The tithes were commuted in 1842 for £220 per annum. A small National School was built in 1852. There are 2½ acres of Church land.

DIRECTORY—

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2002; links updated February 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
Tunstead hundred
Smallburgh union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Swafield watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Swafield archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Swafield [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page>