1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Swainsthorpe Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Swainsthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Swainsthorpe

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 511-512.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

SWAINSTHORPE is a village and parish on the Great Eastern railway, 109¾ miles from London and 5 south-by-west from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Humbleyard, Henstead union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Humbleyard, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter is an ancient building of flint and rubble, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, octagonal tower and 4 bells: there is an ancient and curious monument to John Dearsley esq. and an old brass. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, with that of Newton Flotman annexed, joint yearly value £627, tithe rent charge, with 48 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of F. W. K. Long esq. and held since 1835 by the Rev. Henry Churchman Long B.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge, who resides at Newton Flotman. Here was anciently another church, dedicated to St. Mary. Here is the workhouse for the Henstead union, a plain, red brick building, erected in 1836 to hold 100 inmates. F. W. Kellett Long esq. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is light and sandy; subsoil, chalk and gravelly. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area is 821 acres; rateable value £1,854; the population in 1881 was 191.

_____

POST OFFICE.—Thomas Andrews, receiver. Letters received through Norwich, viä Stoke Holy Cross, arrive at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Norwich.

INSURANCE AGENT.—Gresham Life, J. C. Godfrey

COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR SWAINSTHORPE PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION.

Board day, tuesdays, alternately, at Swainsthorpe workhouse
Clerk to the Guardians, E. P. Simpson, Tombland, Norwich
Relieving & Vaccination Officers, Henstead district, Wm. Hy. Lockwood, Poringland; Humbleyard district, J. C. Godfrey, Mulbarton

Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators, No. 1 district, T. W. Richardson, Norwich; No. 2 district, Robert J. Mills, Norwich; No. 3 district, George Lowe, Wymondham; No. 3 district, F. W. Merry, Shottesham All Saints

Superintendent Registrar, James S. Sanders,Swainsthorpe

Registrars of Births & Deaths, No. 1 Humbleyard sub-district, J. C. F. Godfrey, Mulbarton; No. 2 Henstead sub-district, W. H. Lockwood, Poringland

Workhouse, James S. Saunders, master; Rev. F. Cavell T.A.K.C.L. chaplain; T. W. Richardson, medical officer; Mrs. Eliza Saunders, matron; Miss Jane E. Swann, schoolmistress

RURAL SANITARY AUTHORITY.

Clerk, E. P. Simpson, Tombland, Norwich
Medical Office of Health, J. B. Pitt, L.R.C.P. Edin. Scarning
Inspector of Nuisances, James Hall, Swardeston

RAILWAY STATION, William Herbert Canham, station master

Here is a National school, supported by voluntary subscriptions: Miss Kate Sandal, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, April 2005; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Swainsthorpe Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Swainsthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page