SWANNINGTON, 3½ miles S.S.E. of Reepham, is a parish and scattered village, comprising 395 souls, 85 houses, and 1,280 acres of land, exclusive of 100a. of common. Major Chas. Randall, of London, owns a great part of the soil, and is lord of the manor. The other proprietors are, Edmd. Bartlett [sic = Bartell ?], Esq., Rev. F. Hildyard, Mr. Thos. Cooke, Mr. Jno. Palmer, and Misses Means. The Lawn, a neat mansion, with some beautiful stained glass in the windows, is the residence of E. Bartell, Esq. The Church, dedicated to St. Margaret, has a lantern steeple, and in 1848 was re-pewed, and otherwise beautified and repaired, at considerable expense, which was defrayed by subscriptions and a small rate. At the same time a very handsome stained glass window was put in the chancel by Edmund Bartell, Esq. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £6 5s. 11d., is consolidated with the vicarage of Wood Dalling, in the patronage of Trinity Hall, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Fdk. Hildyard, M.A., who has a good residence, 13a. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £408, awarded in 1841, in lieu of tithes. The rector supports a small school in the parish. The Poor's land, 6a., left by Jno. Carter, is let for £12 a year. They have also a yearly rent-charge of £5, left by Stephen Sheering, out of premises in London.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated January 2011.
1891 Census Names Index
St. Faith's union
White's 1845 and White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Swannington Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Swannington [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page