1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Swanton Abott Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site
More on Swanton Abbott [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Swanton Abbott

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 512-513.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

SWANTON ABBOTT is a parish 2 miles from Worstead station on the East Norfolk btranch of the Great Eastern railway, 11 north-by-east from Norwich, and 3 south-south-west from North Walsham, on the road from Norwich to North Walsham, in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Ingworth and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Michael is an ancient building of flint, in the Early Decoirated style, and consists of chancel andnave and a square tower (containing 1 bell), with heavy buttresses, and is situated on an eminence: here is a memorial brass of the Rev. Stephen de Mylton. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, yearly value 275, with 10 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Rev. F. W. Jex-Blake and held since 1863 by the Rev. Edward Harris B.A. of Exeter College, Oxford. A rectory house, of red brick, was erected in 1865 by the present rector. Here are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. Ann Steward left a pightle of land to the poor; she also left 5A. 24P. of land, the rent to be applied to repairing the chancel of the church. Twenty-five acres of common land were allotted to the poor for cutting fuel: a portion of land also allotted is now let and the rent is appropriated in the purchase of coals for the poor. Swanton Hall, a mansion pleasantly situated and standing in a well-wooded lawn, is the seat of Mrs. Jex-Blake. William Forster esq. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are the Rev. F. W. Jex-Blake, Mrs. Petre and the Rev. C. T. Jex-Blake. The soil is mixed; subsoil, gravel and clay. The area is 1,130 acres; rateable value, 1,880; the population in 1881 was 501.

POST OFFICE.—Isaac Richardson, receiver. Letters erceieved through Norwich at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 4.15 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at North Walsham

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1874

Board School, Miss Jane E. Barlow, mistress

CARRIER TO NORWICH (twice a week), Josiah Hunt

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, August 2008; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Swanton Abott Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site
More on Swanton Abbott [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page