1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Local web-site
Swanton Morley postmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Swanton Morley Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Swanton Morley [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Swanton Morley

Entry in Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.513.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

SWANTON MORLEY is a village and parish 4 miles north-east from East Dereham, 2½ from Elmham station, situated on the south bank of the river Wensum, in the Western division of the county, Launditch hundred, Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Brisley and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a handsome flint edifice, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, porches and lofty tower containing 5 bells and clock: it was erected at the expense of William Lord Morley in or about the year 1379: the chancel roof has been one of great beauty and the doors, which are of good design, are reproductions in deal of the ancient carved oak doors. The register dates from the year 1551. The living is a rectory, with that of Worthing annexed, joint gross yearly value £1,065, with residence and 23 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Rev. Henry Evans Lombe B.A. of Bylaugh Park, and held since 1863 by the Rev. Edward Lomb B.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge. There is a small Primitive Methodist chapel, erected in 1868. The town lands, of 51 acres, produce £65 yearly, which is divided equally for repairs of the church and distribution to the poor. The Rev. Henry Evans Lombe B.A.,J.P. of Bylaugh Park is the principal landowner and lord of the manor. The soil is loam and clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 2,714; rateable value, £4,668; the population in 1881 was 673.

_____

POST OFFICE:—George Mitchell, receiver. Letters from London & all parts received from East Dereham at 7.20 a.m.; dispatched at 5.45 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at East Dereham.

National School, James Lewton-Brain, master; Mrs. Clara Lewton-Brain, mistress

Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling September 1999; links updated, June 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Local web-site
Swanton Morley postmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Swanton Morley Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Swanton Morley [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page