[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001]
SWANTON MORLEY is a parish and large straggling village, 3½ miles N.E. of East Dereham, containing 177 houses, 806 souls, and 2,659 acres of land, the property of a number of owners, the largest of whom is Charles Lombe, Esq., the lord of the manor. The CHURCH, dedicated to All Saints, has a square tower and five bells, and the rectory, valued in the King's book at £15 10s. 2d., is consolidated with Worthing, in the gift of Chas. Lombe, Esq., and enjoyed by the Rev. Henry Tacey. The joint rectories in 1831 were valued at £922. A rent charge of £24 was bequeathed many years ago by Thos. Barrett, for repairing the Church and relieving the poor. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here. The Town Land, 52a., is let for £106, half of which is applied to the service of the church, and the residue for the benefit of the poor. Wm. Small, in 1654, left a yearly payment of £10 for schooling and apprenticing poor children of this parish. Robt. Freeman, in 1792, left 21s. a year to be distributed in bread. A National school was erected in 1852. The large paper mill here has not been occupied during the last 14 years.
Post Office at Jas. Sharman's: letters arrive at 8.30 a.m., and are despatched at 4.30 p.m.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001; links updated June 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Swanton Morley postmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Swanton Morley Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Swanton Morley [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page