SWANTON NOVERS is a parish and village 2 miles north-east from Melton Constable situation, 7½ from Fakenham station. and 6 south-west from Holt, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred, Walsingham union and county court district, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The the church of St. Edmund is a plain building in the Later English style, and consists of chancel nave, north aisle, square tower rebuilt in 1821 and north porch : it is seated with old oak benches: there is a mural monument in the chancel to John Dew esq. who died in 1832, aged 81 years: the church was partially rebuilt, except the tower, restored and reseated at a cost of £1,200, raised by subscription, Charles Atkinson esq. of Swanton House, being a large contributor; Edmund Dalby esq. of Abingdon, Berks, was the architect. The register dates from the year 1668. The living is a discharged rectory, consolidated with that of Wood Norton, joint yearly value £70, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, and held since 1879 by the Rev. Charles Martin, late senior student (fellow) of Christ Church, Oxford, who resides at Wood Norton; the Rev. Johnn Jervis Mallock M.A. of Execter College, Oxom, is the curate in charge. The United Methodist Free Church have a place of worship. Swanton House, the seat of Charles Atkinson,esq. is a modern built residence, pleasantly situated near the high road from Holt to Dereham. Lord Hastins, who is lord of the manor, the Dean and Chapter of Christ College, Oxford and Charles Atkinson esq. are the landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and brick earth. Here is a stratum of clay, of which bricks and coarse earthenware are made. The crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,315 acres; rateable value, £1,341; and the population in 1881 was 282.
POST OFFICE.George Mitchell, receiver. Letters from London & all parts received from East Dereham by messemger from Briningham arrive about 8 a.m. The POSTING BOX is at the West Park Gate. Melton Constable is the nearest money order office; Foulsham & Holt the nearest telegraph offices
Here is a school, supported by voluntary contributions, Miss Small, mistress