[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001]
SWANTON NOVERS, 6 miles S.W. by S. of Holt, is a scattered village, and comprises in its parish 345 souls, 74 houses,and 1,320 acres of land, nearly the whole of which is the property of Lord Hastings and Mr. Chas. Atkinson ; the former is lord of the manor. Here is a stratum of clay, of which bricks and coarse earthenware are made. The Church is dedicated to St. Edmund, and the chancel was rebuilt in 1821. It is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £4 15s. 2d., consolidated with that of Wood Norton, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford. The Wesleyans have a chapel here.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001; minor amendments, 20th April, 2001; links updated January 2011.
1891 Census Names Index
Wills & Other Documents
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Swanton Novers Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local village web-site [Juanita Hadwin]
More on Swanton Novers [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page