Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; and 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Tacolneston Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-siteMore on Tacolneston [GENUKI-NFK]

Norfolk - Tacolneston

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 514.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

TACOLNESTON is a village and parish 3 miles north-east from Forncett station, 5 south-east from Wymondham. and about 1 miles south from Ashwellthorpe station, in the Southern division of the county, Depwade hundred, and union, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Depwade, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a stone building partly in the Early and partly in the Later English style, consisting of chancel, nave, and south aisle,with a western tower containing 5 bells, and contains monuments of the Knipe and Gobbett and Warren families; the chancel has been restored by the present rector. The register dates from the year 1653. The living is a rectory, yearly value about 600, in the gift of and held since 1869 by the Rev. John Warren Corbould-Warren LL.M. of Downing College, Cambridge J.P. for Norfolk. The charities are 28 yearly, distributed to the poor in coals, and the widow's charity which gives 1s. 3d. per week to six poor widows. Tacolneston Hall, the seat of Sir Francis George Manningham Boileau bart, D.L., J.P. is a large Elizabethan mansion, situate in a well-wooded park and partly surrounded by a moat. The principal landowners are Sir F. G. M. Boileau bart. who is lord of the manor, and the Rev. J. B. Courbould-Warren, who resides at the Old Hall. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and root crops. The area is 1,580 acres; rateable value, 2,750; the population in 1881 was 438.



POST OFFICE.—Mrs. Sarah Tann, receiver. Letters through Wymondham, arrive at 8.30 a.m. & dispatched at 6 p.m. Wymondham is the nearest money order & telegraph office

Here is a Church of England School, supported by voluntary subscriptions; Miss M. Rivers, mistress; also a sunday school

CARRIERS TO NORWICH.—
    George Williams passes through from Forncett St. Peter, mon. wed, & sat. returning same day
    Wells, from New Buckenham, mon. & sat
    George Gocer, from Carlton road, [sic Carleton Rode] through Bunwell, mon. & sat

  
Barrow Rev. George Stammers M.A. Rectory house
Voileay Sir Francis George Manningham bart. D.L., J.P. Tacolneston hall
Corbould-Warren Rev. John Warren LL.M., J.P. [rector], Tacolneston Old hall
Arnold Wm. carpenter & wheelwright
Briggs Rayner , blacksmith
Clarke Robert Gaylord, farmer, Hyde Park farm
Hales Robert, carpenter & wheelwright
Humphreys Gorge, bricklayer
Kirk Thomas, farmer
Lord James, bricklayer
Ludkin George, farmer
Newman Alfred, saddler
Smith Robert, farmer
Stebbings Eliza (Mrs.), Warren Arms
Tann Sarah (mrs.). shopkeeper, & post office
Wright William, farmer

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated May 2010.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; and 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Tacolneston Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-siteMore on Tacolneston [GENUKI-NFK]