TACOLNESTON, usually called Tacleston, a parish and village 5 miles N.E. of New Buckenham, and 10 miles S.W. by S. of Norwich, has 107 houses, 501 inhabitants, and 1,558a. 3r. 14p. of land, the property of various owners, the principal of whom are Sir J. B. Boileau, Bart., lord of the manor and owner of the Hall, now a farm house ; and J. T. G. Browne, Esq., lord of William's and Earl's manors. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, was rebuilt in 1500, and has a square tower and five bells. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £12, has a yearly rent of £565 in lieu of tithes, and is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Wm Corbould Warren, B.A. The Fuel Allotment, 10a. awarded at the enclosure in 1779, is let for £15. Poor widows have £5 4s. yearly out of a farm at Shipmeadow, left by Edm. Knipe, in 1781.
Wm. Arnold, wheelwright;
Saml. Barber, baker;
Jno. Bird, shopkeeper;
Wm. Head and Geo. Tann (and shopkeeper,) shoemakers;
Wm Hales, grocer ;
Geo. Hy. Pearson, tailor ;
Smith & Son, saddlers ;
Fras. Stebbings, smith, beerhouse, and shopkeeper ; [and Warren Arms]
Rev. Wm. Corbould Warren, B.A., rector.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; and 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Tacolneston Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-siteMore on Tacolneston [GENUKI-NFK]