TASBURGH is a village and parish 1½ miles south-east from Flordon station, and 8 south from Norwich, siuated on the river Tas, in the Southern division of the county, Depwade hundred, and union, Harleston [sic. Norwich] county court district, rural deanery of Depwade, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a structure of flint with stone dressings in the Decorated style and consists of chancel, nave and north porch, and a very ancient towe. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, yearly value £287, with residence, in the gift of J. Jerm esq. and held sice 1837 by the Rev. Henry Edmund Preston M.A. of Queen's College, Cambridge. Here is a Friends' meeting house. The charities amount to £30 yearly, besides £14 rent of fuel allotment. The vilage derives its name fom the river Tas, anciently the Taus, on which the Romans had a station, called Ad Taum, which is an entrenchment of 24 acres on a high hill. The trustees of the late Capt. Gwyn and the trustees of the late Lieut.-Col. the Hon. F. Walpole M.P. are the principal landowners, The soil is various; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and beans. The ara is 916 acres; rateable value, £1,408; in 1881 the parish contained 446 inhabitants.
National School, Miss Mary Ormsby, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Tasburgh watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Tasburgh Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Tasburgh [GENUKI-BFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page