1891 Census Names Index
Trinity Church Centre, Thorpe Marriott [Simon Knott]
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Taverham watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Maid of Taverham watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Taverham mill suicide [Jonathan Neville]
Local web-site
More on Taverham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Taverham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.515.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

TAVERHAM is a pleasant village and parish, whence the hundred takes its name, 2 miles from Drayton station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, about 6 north-west from Norwich, on the river Wensum, in the Southern division of the county, St. Faith's union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Taverham and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Edmund is a plain thatched building; it consists of chancel, and nave, with aisle and porch on the south side, and round tower with octagonal top (containing 1 bell) and contains a fine organ, presented by Mrs. Mickelthwait: there is also a very handsome font: the church was thoroughly restored and re-seated, at the sole expense of the late Rev. J. N. Mickelthwait M.A. who also, in the year 1873, presented a stained window, representing the Ascension, in memory of his mother, Lady Charlotte Mickelthwait. The register dates from the year 1713. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted at £329 yearly, with residence and 42 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and H. S. N. Mickelthwait esq. and held since 1850 by the Rev. Robert Clerke Burton M.A. of Clare College, Cambridge. The principal occupation here is derived from the extensive paper-mill of Messrs. Delane, Magnay & Co. who employ upwards of 200 hands; in addition to the water power employed by this mill, five powerful steam engines are constantly at work. The Hall was rebuilt in the manorial style by the late Rev. J. N. Mickelthwait M.A. and is much admired for the picturesque views obtained from it: it is the property of H. S. N. Mickelthwait esq. who is lord of the manor and chief landowner, but is now occupied by William Waring esq. The soil is sandy; subsoil, sand, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and turnips. The parish contains 2,099 acres; rateable value, £2,417; and the population in 1881 was 207.

_____

Letters from Norwich viâ Drayton. Costessey is the nearest money order office. Norwich is the nearest telegraph office.

A National school (boys & girls), with residence for the mistress, supported by voluntary contributions & a small weekly payment by the scholars; Miss Ford, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, June 2005; links updated January 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Trinity Church Centre, Thorpe Marriott [Simon Knott]
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Taverham watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Maid of Taverham watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Taverham mill suicide [Jonathan Neville]
Local web-site
More on Taverham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page