Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Index of Marriages [Alan Gresley]
Index of Baptisms (1671-1848) [Alan Gresley]
Index of Burials [Alan Gresley]
White's 1854 Directory entry
Balsam Fields towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Terrington St. Clement Archeology Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Terringon St. Clement [GENUKI=NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
And see Terrington St. John
And see Marshland St. James

Norfolk - Terrington St. Clement

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 515-6.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

TERRINGTON ST. CLEMENT is a village, parish and station on the Lynn and Sutton Bridge railway, 5 miles west of Lynn by the ferry and 6½ by road, and 10 miles north-east from Wisbech, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Freebridge Marshland, union of Wisbech, county court district of Lynn, rural deanery of Lynn Marshland and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Clement is a spacious cruciform structure of freestone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and transept, with a massive detached tower at the north-west angle containing 6 bells; it was erected in 1380, and repaired, new roofed, and the lofty pinnacles restored in 1829; the vestry was rebuilt and the chancel restored at a cost of £2,200 defrayed by Canon Lightfoot, now Bishop of Durham; carved oak stalls have been added to the chancel; the organ, erected at a cost of about 200 guineas, was the gift of the late Rev. T. T. Upwood M.A.; the font has a cover, a lofty piece of Gothic tabernacle work, and on the panels are painted figures of the Baptism and Temptation of the Saviour; there are marble tablets to the Bentinck, Upwood, Goode, Morphew and Hamond families. The register dates from the year 1598. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £453, with house, in the gift of the Crown and held since 1876 by the Rev. Marlborough Crosse B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. The Wesleyans, United Methodist Free Church and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. The charities are of the yearly value of £10. Orange Farm was the residence of Baron Feagle, a Netherlands refugee, who entertained the Prince of Orange here when the French invaded Holland, from which circumstance the house obtained its name. Walter Terrington LL.D. and John Cotton, Archbishop of Armagh, were both born here in the fourteenth century. In 1844, on removing part of the roman bank, several Roman coins were found. Hamond Lodge, restored in 1810 by the late Sir A. S. Hamond, is a Tudor residence, standing in a park sheltered by plantations, and now the residence and property of David Ward, esq. There are four manors in this parish; George William Pierrepont Bentinck esq. M.P. is lord of the manor of Terrington; Sir William Hovell Brown ffolkes bart. J.P., D.L., M.P., is lord of Howards's manor; and James Walker esq. Is lord of Branch's manor, and the trustees of the late Rev. T. T. Upwood are the lords of Lovell's manor. G. W. P. Bentinck esq. M.P. Sir W. Hove;; Brown ffolkes bart. M.P. and James Walker esq. and Thomas Batman Marriott esq. are the principal landowner. The soil is loamy, and the subsoil clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans, peas and barley. The parish contains 9,410 acres of land; rateable value, £16,400; and the population in 1871 was 2,256, and in 1881, 2028.

Parish Clerk, Daniel Bates.

______

POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank.— John Francis Fysh, receiver. Letters arrive from Lynn at 8 a.m. & 1.45 p.m. & are dispatched at 9.30 a.m. & 4.50 p.m. Money orders are issued & paid & savings bank business transacted from 9 a.m. To 6 p.m.

COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR FREEBRIDGE MARSHLAND PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION

Chairman, Rev. John Bramhall B.A. Vicarage, Terrington St. John, Lynn
Thomas Edward Bagge esq. M.A. Islington hall, near Lynn
Rev. Frederick Davies, Magdalen, near Lynn
Arthur William English, esq. Osborne house, Wisbech
Gustavus Helsham esq. St. Mary's hall, near Lynn
Fredc. Morehouse Metcalfe esq. Inglethorpe hall, nr. Wisbech
William Ludlam Ollard esq. Musticott hosue, Walsoken
Jn. Thos. Seccombe esq. M.D. Terrington St. Clement, Lynn
Clerks to the Magistrates, F. & E. H. Jackson, Wisbech
Petty Sessions are held at the Court house, every 1st & 3rd Monday, except on Bank holidays, and also except September, then on the last MonClenchwarton, Emneth, North Lynn St. Edmunds, Terrington St. Clement, Terrington St. John, Tilney All Saints, Tilney-cum-Islington, Tilney St. Lawrence, Walpole St. Andrew, Walpole St. Peter, Walsoken, West Lynn, West Walton, Wiggenhall St. German, Wiggenhall St. Mary Magdalen, Wiggenhall St. Mary the Virgin, Wiggenhall St. Peter & Wingland
Police Station, Harry Woolnough, superintendent; the local force consists of 1 sergeant & 12 constables.
National School (boys), Robert Bilby Little, master; (girls), Miss Elizabeth Wigg, mistress
Railway Station, John Bolton, station master
CARRIERS TO
LYNN— Samuel Scott, tues. thurs. & sat.; Frederick Gilbert, tues. & fri.
WISBECH — Frederick Gilbert, wed. & sat.

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, April 2002; links updated May 2010.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Index of Marriages [Alan Gresley]
Index of Baptisms (1671-1848) [Alan Gresley]
Index of Burials [Alan Gresley]
White's 1854 Directory entry
Balsam Fields towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Terrington St. Clement Archeology Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Terrington St. Clement [GENUKI=NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
And see Terrington St. John
And see Marshland St. James