TERRINGTON ST. JOHN is a village and parish situated on the Wisbech road, 3 miles from Terrington St. Clement's Railway Station, 6½ miles south-west-by-west from Lynn and about the same distance from Wisbech, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Freebridge Marshland, union of Wisbech, county court district of Lynn, rural deanery of Lynn Marshland and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. John stands on the north side of the parish, and was built at "Peyke's Cross" in 1423, under a licence granted by the Bishop of Ely and made parochial by the Archbishop of Canterbury in 1530: it is a handsome stone structure, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and aisles, with a square tower (in which are 6 bells) which stands about 15 feet from the church, but is connected with it by a building called the Priest's house: it was repaired in 1853, at a cost of £150: there is one stained window. The register dates from the year 1536 The living is a vicarage, yearly value £206 with 5½ acres of glebe, in the gift of the Crown and held since 1843 by the Rev. John Bramhall B.A. of Exeter College, Oxford, who is rural dean of Lynn Marshland and J.P. of Norfolk: there is a vicarage house, which was built in 1845. The charities amount to about £37 a year, derived from the poor's land of 13 acres. There is an endowment of 25 acres of land of about £80 a year, which is applied for the maintenance of the church. Almshouses for four widows are endowed with four acres of land for the purchase of coals. Sir William Hovell Brown ffolkes bart. M.P., J.P., D.L. who is lord of the manor, Messrs. Samuel Stockdale, James Johnson, the trustees of William Ingram. William Edward Page, Philip Cranefield, William B. Johnson esq. and G. P. Bentinck esq M.P. are the chief landowners. The soil is clay and loam; subsoil, gault and clay. The chief crops are wheat, peas, oats, beans, coleseed, mustard, roots and grass. The parish contains 2,506 acres of land; rateable value £5,223; the population in 1881 was 673.
Parish Clerk, vacant.
POST & MONEY O>RDER OFFICE & Savings Bank. Thomas Brett, receiver. Letters arrive from Lynn at 9.30 a.m. & are dispatched at 3.40 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Terrington St. Clement.
Chief Constable for the Hundred of Freebridge Marshland, James Trott
Collectors of Smeeth & Fen Drainage Rates, F. & E. H. Jackson
Registrar of Births & Deaths for Terrington Sub-District, & Collector of Taxes, John Thomas Egarr
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1880; John Kiddle, clerk to the Board
Parochial School for boys and girls, supported by voluntary subscriptions, Charles Craven, master; Mrs. Craven, mist CARRIERS TO:
LYNN James Storey, tues.; Mrs. Mallett, tues. & sat.
WISBECH James Storey, thurs. & sat.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, April 2002; links updated May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Index of Marriages (1706-1812)[Alan Gresley]
White's 1854 Directory entry
Terrington St. John towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Terrington St. John Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More about Terrington St. John [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
And see Terrington St. Clement
And see Marshland St. James