TERRINGTON ST. JOHN, 6 miles S.W. by W. of Lynn, is a parish and scattered village, chiefly on the Wisbeach road, containing 784 inhabitants, 185 houses and 2,506 acres of land, including roads and drains, comprised in the same manors as Terrington St. Clement, to which this was considered a parochial chapelry till 1843, when it was constituted a perpetual curacy, by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Sir W. J. H. B. Ffolkes, Bart., Geo. P. Bentinck, John Fuller, and Robert Wright, Esqrs., are land owners, besides whom are a number of other proprietors, many of whom are residents. The Church, dedicated to St. John, stands on the north side of the parish, and was built "at Peyke's cross" in 1423, under a license granted by the Bishop of Ely, and made parochial by the Archbishop of Canterbury in 1530. It is a handsome edifice, of brick, with a square tower containing six bells. The tower was repaired in 1843 at the cost of £150. The Rev. John Bramhall, B.A., the incumbent, has a neat parsonage house, erected some years ago, with the aid of £800 from Queen Anne's Bounty. The glebe is 5a. 1r. 6p. and the church land, 27a. 3r. 26p., is let for £45 a year. The vicarial tithes are commuted for £517 3s. 3d. and the small tithes for £206 4s. 11d. The chief part of the village is a mile south of the Church, and about 1½ mile further south is the hamlet of Fen-end, so called from its being in the limits of the Smeeth and Fen. A recent Act of Parliament empowers the Commissioners to levy a draining and road rate : 3s. per acre is now paid as a draining, and 2s. as the road rate. A school and residence for the teacher was built in 1852 : about 80 children attend. The Methodists have a Chapel here. The Almshouses, four small cottages, are occupied by poor widows, who have divided among them £7 a year in coals, &c., as the rent of 4a. 2r. 8p. of land, given by an unknown donor. Five cottages built by the parish are occupied by poor families. The Poor's land, 11a. 3r. 28p. is let for £37 a year, and distributed among the poor not receiving parochial aid. Mr. Egarr, the schoolmaster and parish clerk, presented a handsomely bound book for the Altar service, in 1844, and receives £3 6s. a year, left by Dr. Newcome for schooling a few poor children.
Post Office at Mr. Thos. Brett's. Letters arrive at 10 a.m., and are despatched at 3.45 p.m.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Freebridge Marshland hundred
Index of Marriages (1706-1812)[Alan Gresley]
Kelly's 1883 Directory entry
Terrington St. John towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Terrington St. John Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More about Terrington St. John [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
And see Marshland St. James