TESTERTON is a parish about 2 miles west from Ryburgh station amd 3 south-east from Fakenham in the Western division of the county, Gallow hundred. Walsingham union and county court district, rural deanery of Toftrees, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church, which fell into ruins many years since, has almost disappeared, a portion of the tower alone remains: the inhabitants attend Colkirk church, The living is a sinecure rectory, in the gift of the trustees of F. A. Morse-Boycott esq. and now (1883) vacant; £13 a year are paid in lieu of tithes. Testerton House is a fine mansion, commanding an extensive prospect: it was built by and was formerly the sesat of Philip Mallett Case esq. but is now the property of the trustees of F. A. Morse-Boycott esq. who is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is loamy, producing good crops of wheat, barley, oats and green crops generally. The parish contains 613 acres; rateable value, £940; and the population in 1881 was 13.Letters through Fakenham, the nearest money order & telegraph office.
1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1912 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Pudding Norton (& Testerton) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Testerton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page