THARSTON is village and parish 1 mile north-east from Forncett station and 10 miles south-by-west from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Depwade hundred, and union, Harleston county court district, rural deanery of Depwade, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a small edifice of flint with stone dressings, and consists of chancel, nave, north porch and a square tower containing 4 bells. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £250, with residence and 5 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1874 by the Rev. Samuel Cutler Hooley. Clatburn's charity of £5 yearly is for fuel, and the fuel allotment of 8 acres produces £22 yearly, and £3 5s. derived rom the land is for bread. Sir Charles Harvey Harvey bart. is lord of the manopr and principal landowner. The soil is various; subsoil clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and beans. The parish contains 1,572 acres; rateable value £2,431; the population in 1881 was 375.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Wright.
Letters by foot through Long Stratton, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office
Here is a school on the National system, supported by contributions & a small weekly payment by the children; Miss M. Blinch, mistress
Christian F. B. El-Boden house
Gowing William, The Hall
Hooley Rev. Samuel Cutler, Vicarage