Thelnetham, Suffolk - Kelly's 1883

More on Thelnetham [GENUKI-SFK]
The church [Simon Knott]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Suffolk - Thelnetham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.1040.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling

THELNETHAM is a parish, situated on the Little Ouse, which here separates the county from Norfolk, 7 miles west-south-west from Diss station, 11 south-west from Thetford, and 3 north-west from Botesdale, in the Western division of the county, Blackbourn hundred, Thetford union and county court district, rural deanery of Blackbourn, archdeaconry of Sudbury and diocese of Ely. The church of St. Nicholas is a flint building with thatched roof, in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, large south aisle porch and square embattled western tower containing 5 bells: it was restored in 1872 and re-seated with oak benches and a carved oak pulpit erected: the south aisle contains a handsome stained memorial window to the Ward family and there is also a memorial to a member of the Bokenham family, dated 1648. The register dates from the year 1531. The living is a discharged rectory, tithe rent charge £528, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1871 by the Rev. John Sykes Sawbridge M.A. of Brasenose College, Oxford. There are charity lands of the value of about £25 yearly, the net proceeds of which are distributed to the poor of the parish in various gifts. Sir Edward Clarence Kerrison bart. is lord of the manor of Thelnetham and the Rev. J. S. Sawbridge M.A. is lord of Thelnetham Rectory. The principal landowners are Thomas Thornhill esq M.P. and the trustees of the late J. H. Wilkinson esq. The soil is generally heavy; subsoil principally clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, peas, beans and clover. The area is 1,773 acres; rateable value £2,781; the population in 1881 was 384.


POST OFFICE.—Joseph Smith, receiver. Letters arrive through Thetford, viâ East Harling, at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 4.40 p.m. Hopton is the nearest money order office & Botesdale is the nearest telegraph office

A National school was erected in 1872, a flint building, supported by the rector & inhabitants & receiving a government grant; Wm Argyll, master

 

Transcription Copyright ©E.C."Paddy" Apling, August, 2014

More on Thelnetham [GENUKI-SFK]
The church [Simon Knott]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page