THELVETON (or THELTON) is a village and parish 2½ miles north-east from Diis station, in the Southern division of the county, Diss hundred, and county court district, Depwade union, rural deanery of Redenhall, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is a small plain rubble building in the Prependicular style consisting of chancel, nave and south porch and a belfry containign 1 bell; in 1873 the church was thoroughly restored at the expense of T. Mann esq. and the chancel by the present rector; it contains a large font, with the figures of the Twelve Apostles beautifully carved. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, yearly value £249 with residence and 7 acres of glebe, in the gift of the lord Chncellor and held since 1864 by the rev. Robert Anwyl Pritchard D.C.L. of Hertford College, Oxford. $nbsp; Thelveton Hall is the property of Thomas Mann esq. who resides here occasionally, and is lord of the manor and pricnipal landowner. The soil is heavy; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The parish ontains rateable value, £1,444; the population in 1881 was 160.
There is a day school, with good school-room & mistress's house, erected by T. Mann esq. who also supports the school; Mrs Ellen Scargill, mistress. A sunday school is maintained by the rector
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; corrections made andlinks updated November, 2009.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Dickleburgh and Rushall (& Thelveton) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Thelveton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page