THEMELTHORPE is a village and parish 2½ miles from Foulsham station on the East Norfolk branch of the Great Eastern railway, 9 north-east from East Dereham, in the Northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred, Aylsham union, Aylsham county court district, rural deanery of Sparham, archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is a small and ancient flint building, with no pretension to architectural syle, having a chancel, nave and a square western tower containing 1 bell: it was thoroughly restored in 1873. The register dates from the year 1664. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Bintry or Bintree, joint gross average value £585, in the gift of Lord Hastings and held since 1871 by the Rev. Robert Reeve Rackham M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. Lord Hastings is lord of the manor. Stephen Leeds esq. Mrs. Jodrell, the Rev. D. Anally and Mr. John Jarvis, are the landowners. The soil is loam; subsoil, clay and brick earth. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The area is 652 acres; rateable value £875; the population in 1881 was 72.
Letters through East Dereham, delivereed between 9 & 12. Foulsham is the nearest money order & telegraph office
This parish is contributory to Foulsham School Board, sending 2 members; the children attend the Board school there.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Themelthorpe Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Themelthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
Marriott's Way (Long-distance footpath from Themelthorpe to Aylsham) [Peter Boggis]