1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Thornage Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Thornage watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Thornage [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Thornage

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 522.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

THORNAGE is a parish 2½ miles south-west-by-west from Holt & 2½ from Melton Constable station, 12 west from Cromer and 10 east from Fakenham station, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred, and county court district, Erpingham union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, situated on the road from Holt to East Dereham. The church (name unknown) is a small plain building in the Early English style, having chancel, square embattled tower containing 1 bell, and south porch: there is a communion cup, dated 1456, given by John Butts and Margaret his wife; also an ancient oak table and a monument to Sir William Butts : and a stone to the memory of Lady Heigham, dated 1590. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a rectory, with Brinton annexed, joint yearly value £508, with residence and 35 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Hastings and held since 1863 by the Rev. Charles John Brereton B.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. At the survey, William Beraufoe was lord of the manor, and held it in right of his church or see, then at Thetford; and Aylmar, Bishop of Elmham, possessed it by the same right, in King Edward's reign, as a manor. In the 35th of Henry III. (1251) Walter, Bishop of Norwich, lord of Thornagm had a charter if free warren: the manor remained with the see till the excange of land made in the 27th of Henry VIII. between the King and the Bishop of Norwich, and was granted July 1, 1537, by that King, with the advowson, to William Butts M.D. his chief physician, in which family it continued till Ann, only daughter and heiress of Edmund Butts esq. brought it by marriage to Sir Nicholas Bacon bart, son and heir of Sir Nicholas, lord keeper of the great seal, and it remained in that family till sold, about 1710, by Sir Edmund Bacon bart. to Sir Jacob Astley bart. of Melton, ancestor of Lord Hastings, who is the present lord of the manor and chief landowner. Courts leet and baron are held once a year. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 1,266 acres; rateable value, £2,134; the population in 1881 was 327.


Letters received through Dereham, viā Briningham, by foot messenger arrive at 6.30 a.m. WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 5.20 p.m. Holt is the nearest money order & telegraph office. Delivery to callers at Briningham on sundays

The parish is united with Briningham united district school board. The school is at Brinton

CARRIERS.—Crowe & Dennis, from Holt to Melton Constable station & Coe, from Briston to Norwich passes through daily

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Thornage Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Thornage watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Thornage [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page