[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001]
THORNAGE parish, 2½ miles S.W. of Holt, includes 82 houses, 349 souls, and 1,338a. 2r. 21p. of land, mostly belonging to Lord Hastings, the lord of the manor, and patron of the Church. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £6 18s. 4d., is enjoyed by the Rev. Augustus Dashwood, who has 35a. 1r. 1p. of glebe, and a good rectory house. The tithes are commuted for £331 4s. The communion plate is very ancient, and the cup was the gift of John Butts and his wife in 1456. His family were long possessed of the manor here ; and one of them, Hy. Butts, D.D., was Vice-Chancellor of Oxford University, in 1629 ; but was found, soon afterwards, "hanging in his garters in his own chamber." The Baptists have a chapel in the village.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001; links updated January 2011.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Thornage Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Thornage watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Thornage [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page