1891 Census Names Index
Thornham wills
White's 1854
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Thornham composite mil [Jonathan Neville]
Thornham Church
Thornham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site
More on Thornham [GENUKI-NFK]
Paddy's Home Page
Village Index

Norfolk - Thornham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 522-523.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

THORNHAM is a parish and village 20 miles north-east from Lynn and 5 eas-north-east from Hunstanton railway station, in the Western division of the county, Smithdon hundred, Docking union, Little Walsingham county court district, Heacham rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, situated on the German ocean and on the coast road from Wells to Lynn. The church of All Saints is a spacious structure of flint, in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, lofty nave, with clerestory, aisles, large porch with chamber above, in which the vestry meetings are usually held, small vestry and an unfinished tower at the west end containing 1 bell: the clerestory windows are perfect: the nave is seated with thick oaken benches: the pulpit is also of oak, bearing date 1631: the lower portion of the old screen under the chancel arch still remains, on which are several painted figures, nearly obliterated: the piscina is in the usual place and the font is octagonal and raised: the chancel was restored in 1877, at a cost of 2,8100, defrayed by Capt. Ames-Lyde, assisted by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The register dates from the year 1716. The living is a discharged vicarage, with Holme-next-the-sea annexed, joint yearly value 420, with residence and 14 acres of glebe, in the alternate gift of the Bishop of Norwich and Thomas L'Estrange Ewan esq. of the Rookery, Dedham, Essex, and held since 1876 by the Rev. Edward Ewan M.A. of St. Peter's College Cambridge. There are places here for worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. These charities of 30 annual value for the benefit of the poor, together with about 29 acres of land reserved for fuel: also 8 acres of land for repairs of the church. There is a lecture room in connection with the church. Here is a lime-kiln, and bricks are made in the parish. Mrs. Ames-Lyde is lady of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is partly loam and chalk; subsoil, brick earth and chalk. The crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips, beans and mangold-wurtzel. The area is 2,154 acres pf land and 780 of water; rateable value, 3,957; the population in 1881 was 653.


POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank, John Edwards, sub-postmaster. Letters received through Lynn, by mail cart, arrive at 8 a.m. & are dispatched at 4.45 p.m. Brancaster is the nearest telegraph office

Church of England School (mixed) was erected in the year 1858 by the late William Hogge esq. Richard Harris, master; Mrs. Julia Anne Harris, mistress; Miss Elizabeth Bevington, infants' mistress. The school wil hold 160; avrage attendance, 106

CARRIER TO;—
    HEACHAM, S, & other places between Thornham and LYNN.—George Overton, every sat.; Robert Alle, tues.; Robert Tipple, tues
    HOLME NEXT - THE - SEA & HUNSTANTON—George Overton, every wed. & sat
 

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
Thornham wills
White's 1854
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Thornham composite mil [Jonathan Neville]
Thornham Church
Thornham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site
More on Thornham [GENUKI-NFK]
Paddy's Home Page
Village Index