THORNHAM is a parish and considerable village on the Hunstanton road, 7 miles W. by N. of Burnham Market, which contains 792 souls, 189 houses, and 1,985 acres of land, which extend to the beach. Near half a mile north of the village is a warehouse at the head of a small creek from Brancaster-bay, navigable for small vessels, which bring in coals and take out corn. The soil belongs principally to Wm. Hogge, Esq., of Biggleswade, and is lessee of the lands and rectorial tithes, under the Bishop of Norwich, who has the largest manor, and the smaller one belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. The CHURCH, dedicated to All Saints, is a large edifice with a square tower partly in ruins, so that the bell is now hung in the wooden frame in the churchyard. The vicarage, valued in the King's book at £10, has 14a. of glebe, and is united with Holme-next-the-Sea, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich, and incumbency of the Rev. N. J. Raven, M.A., who has a neat vicarage house built on the glebe land in 1848. The vicar has a yearly modus of £20 out of the great tithes, and the joint livings were valued in 1831 at £420. The Church Land, 7a. 3r., is let for £12 a year. The Fuel Allotment, awarded in 1794, is about 16a. W. Walterson, in 1720, left £100 to be laid out in land : two-thirds for the poor of Thornham, and one-third for the poor of Titchwell. The land was exchanged at the enclosure for 12a. 2r. now let for £14. The poor of Thornham have £2 a year as the gift of E. Robinson and Mrs. Reed ; and the parish has the right of sending four boys to the Free School at Brancaster. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here. Post Office at Wm. Edwards, sen.: letters arrive at 8.30 a.m., and are despatched at 4.15 p.m.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Thornham composite mil [Jonathan Neville]
Thornham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Thornham [GENUKI-NFK]
Paddy's Home Page