THORPE ABBOTS, a parish and village, 5 miles W.S.W. of Harleston, has 54 houses, 258 inhabitants, and 1,120 acres of land, formerly held by the abbots of Bury St. Edmund, but now belonging to various owners, the largest of whom is the Rev. E. Holland, the lord of the manor, anciently held by the Cornwallis family. The church is dedicated to All Saints, and the living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's book at £6, now having a yearly rent of £335 10s., awarded in 1838 in lieu of tithes. J. P. Read, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Wm. Wallace, B.A., incumbent, who greatly enlarged and improved the parsonage-house in 1853. The town land, 2a. 3r. 1p., is let for £4, which is carried to the poor rates. An allotment of 42a. was awarded at the enclosure in 1803 to the lord of the manor, subject to the yearly payment of £5 for distribution in coals among the poor.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Hoxne watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Thorpe Abbots [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page