[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]
THORPE (next-Haddiscoe) is a village, 5 miles east from Loddon, 2½ southwest from Haddiscoe and 10 south-west from Yarmouth, in the Southern division of the county, Clavering hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, county court district of Bungay and Beccles, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mathius, is a small thatched building: it consists of chancel, nave, round tower with 2 bells and south porch: the chancel, which is slated, was rebuilt in 1838. The register dates from the year 1653. The living is a discharged rectory, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, commuted rent-charge £164 16s 8d, yearly, with 14 acres of glebe land, and held since 1882 by the Rev. David Benjamin Morley K.C.L.. Colonel Custance, who is lord of the manor, and the Earl of Onslow are the principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, sand gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area, one-third being marsh land, is 816A. 0R. 27P.; rated at £1,242; the population in 1881 was 93.
Letters through Norwich, viā Loddon. at 8.45 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Norton Subcourse & telegraph office at Loddon
This parish is included in Thurlton United School Board district, formed in 1853. The children attend the Board School there.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Haddiscoe Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Thorpe next Haddiscoe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page