1891Census Names Index
1891 Census Index for Thorpe Asylum
1891 Census Index for Thorpe St. Matthew (Thorpe Hamlet)
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Thorpe St. Andrew Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Thorpe St. Andrew [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Thorpe-near-Norwich (Thorpe St. Andrew)

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 523-4.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

THORPE near Norwich (or T HORPE ST. ANDREW) is a picturesque village and parish 2 miles east of Norwich, on the road to Yarmouth, with a railway station at the junction of the Yarmouth and Lowestoft with the North Walsham lines of railway, and named the Whitlingham junction station, in the Southern division of the county, Blofield hundred, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Blofield and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, on the north bank of the river Yare, over which the Norwich and Yarmouth railway passes: here are several gentlemen's seats and villa residences, pleasantly situated on the side of a declivity overlooking a part of the city of Norwich, the railway and the river Yare. Part of Thorpe parish, called Thorpe Hamlet, is within the county and city of Norwich, which see. The old parish church of St. Andrew has been dilapidated by faculty, and forms a picturesque ruin: here are many old monuments, some still remaining on the walls of the ruins, and others have been removed into the porch of the new tower: one, dated 1700, is to Peter Vertigans esq. A new church, St. Andrew, was erected in 1866 at the rear of the old building: it is a handsome flint building, with freestone dressings, in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, suth aisle and a tower with spire 150 feet high, which was completed in 1883. The register dates from the year 1642. The living is a rectory, nett yearly value 600, with residence. in the gift of William Birkbeck esq. and held since 1867 by the Rev. John Patteson M.A. of Caius College. Cambridge, rural dean of Bolfield. The rectory house was enlarged in 1867: ot os a handsome red brick Elizabethan building. The Cemetery is situated half a mile south of the village, covering an area of 2 acres: ot contains a mortuary chapel. There is a reading room. The fuel allotment of 57 acres produces 75 yearly, and charities of about 8 yearly are distributed. The bishop of Norwich had anciently a palace here. William Birkbeck esq. J.P. who is lord of the manor, the Earl of Rosebery and Sir H. J. Stracey bart. are the chief landowners. The soil is sand and gravel, subsoil, chalk and limestone. The area is 1,795 acres; rateable value, 6,860; the population of the civil parish in 188s was 1,213 and 674 in the Asylum.


POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank.—Letters arrive by mail cart from Norwich at 4.30 a.m. & by foot messemger at 2.30 p.m.; dispatched at 12.30 p.m. and 6.10 p.m.

There are National schools for boys & girls in connection with the church; the boys' school is partly endowed; Wm. Barker, master; Miss Mary Ann Cooper, mistress.

COUNTY LUNATIC ASYLUM

One miles outh-east of the village is the County Lunatic Asylum, erected in 1814, consisting of a range of buildings of white brick, which have undergone xtensive alterations: the interior is esceedingly light & clean, the grounds are spacous & the air healthy: additional buildings were erected in 1869-70& in 1873-74: the house at present contains 175 male & 313 female patients. A large red brick building, commanding an extensive view of the surounding countryside was erected in 1880, pm the confines of the farm, for chronic, imbecile & harmless patients; males 117, women 116; William Charles Hills M.D. resident medical superintendent; Thomas J. Compton M.B. assistant medical officer; Alexander McWilliam M.A., M.B. junior assisant medical officer; Charles Williams, hon. visiting medical officer; Rev. Edward Ram, chaplain; R. W. Hoddy, examiner of accounts; W. M. Girling, clerk & house steward; R. M. Phipson, architect; Wm. Birkbeck, treasurer; Peter E. Hansell esq. clerk to the committee of visitors; Mrs. Arnoup, housekeeper; Miss F. Nuti, head female attendant; James Ramsey, head male attendant. , Miss Nertha Waters. housekeeper & head attendant. The committee meet on the last tuesday in every monrh, at 11 o'clock, at the Asylum

Railway station, George Sadley Chissell, station master

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, April 2010.

1891Census Names Index
1891 Census Index for Thorpe Asylum
1891 Census Index for Thorpe St. Matthew (Thorpe Hamlet)
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Thorpe St. Andrew Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Thorpe St. Andrew [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page