THREXTON is a parish 2½ miles west from Watton station and 8 north-west [sic. south-east] from Swaffham, in the Western division of the county, Wayland hundred, Swaffham union and county court district, rural deanery of Breccles and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints, in mixed styles, consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, round tower and south porch: the latter is a modern erection, the church having been completely restored since 1865, under the superintendence of Mr. Barton, who bore the chief cost: the roof is in five cants, with carved mouldings and bosses and benches of solid oak, with carved poppy-heads: the pulpit and desk are Jacobean, and were the gift of Ed. Goffe, 1613, who resided in the parish, and was founder of the school at Saham (at which one boy of this parish is entitled to attend), and almshouses at Watton: the splays of the arches are covered with an elegant arabesque: the windows are all stained, the east one representing the Nativity, Crucifixion and Ascension of Our Lord: the floor is laid with Staffordshire tiles, and it is altogether a good specimen of a village church. The register dates from the year 1730. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge commuted at £170, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1882 by the Rev. Alexander Warham Durdin M.A. Trinity College, Cambridge. Near the church are the remains of a Roman camp and a great number of coins and other Roman antiquities have been found here, many of which are in the cabinet of Thomas Allday Barton esq. at his seat, Threxton House, a well-built modern mansion, standing in its own grounds, and situate a short distance from the high road. Thomas Allday Barton esq. who is lord of the manor, and Joseph Trueman Mills esq. are the landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, chalk and clay. The chief crops are what, barley, oats and turnips. The parish contains 1,097 acres; rateable value, £1,099; and the population in 1881 was 80.
Letters through Thetford, viâ Watton, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 1999, with correction [see [sic...] above], September, 2000; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Little Cressingham and Threxton parish website
Threxton church (and audio tour) [Wayland and Watton info]
Little Cressingham and Threxton archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Threxton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page