1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Mautby (& Thrigby) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Thrigby postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Thrigby [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Thrigby

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.525.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

THRIGBY is a parish about 7 miles north-west from Yarmouth, 4 miles south-west from Ormesby station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, and about 2 from the navigable Bure, in the Northern division of the county, incorporation of East and West Flegg, Great Yarmouth county court district, rural deanery of Flegg and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a very ancient flint and stone building, consisting of chancel, nave and a square tower about 40 feet high. The register dates from the year 1562. The living is a rectory, tithe rent charge £212 13s. with 6 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Thomas William Daniel esq. and held since 1862 by the Rev. John William Clapcott B.A. of Lincoln College, Oxford. Thrigby Hall, the seat of Thomas William Daniel esq. J.P. was rebuilt in 1876 of white brick with stone facings, onthe site of an ancient manse: it stands on in extensive grounds, containing many fine old trees, and an old yew fence of considerable length, branching off to the right and left, about 4 yards wide and 6 feet high. A large agricultural building has been erected by T. W. Daniel esq. on his farm for the breeding of pedigree stock. Thomas W. Daniel esq. is lord of the manor and owner of the land, with the exception of one farm, which belongs to the trustees of Warne's charity. The soil is mixed; susboil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 575 acres; rateable value, £1.235; and the population in 1881 was 676.


Letters from Yarmouth. The nearest money order office is at Filby, & telegraph office at Ormesby St. Margaret

This place is included in the United School Board District of Runham, formed in 1879.

Transcription © Copyright E.C.("Paddy") Apling, March, 2009; links updated December 2013.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Mautby (& Thrigby) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Thrigby postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Thrigby [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page