1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Thurlton tower mill and postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Thurlton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Thurlton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Thurlton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.525.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

THURLTON is a parish and village 4 miles east from Loddon and 4 north-west from Haddiscoe station, and 6 north from Beccles, in the Southern division of the county, Clavering hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, county court district of Bungay and Beccles, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is an ancient small thatched edifice in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave, with square tower containing 5 bells : the chancel was restored in 1859 : the carved oak screen is very fine, and there are some ancient monuments to the Denny family. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted to £205 yearly, with residence and 23 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Norwich Charity trustees and held since 1845 by the Rev. Frederick George Godwin M.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge. Here is a Wesleyan chapel erected in 1856. The parish land comprises 3A. 1R. 26P. The old school belonging to the rector is used as a club and reading room and for parish purposes. Jonathan Farrow esq. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Mr. John Elliot Sayer and the University of Cambridge. The soil is mixed; subsoil, sand, gravel and clay. The area is 1,170 acres, rated at £2,080; and the population in 1881 was 419.

Letters through Norwich, viâ Loddon. The nearest money order office is at Norton Subcourse & telegraph office at Loddon

INSURANCE AGENT.Norwich Union Fire, Jacob Elliot Sayer, Haddiscoe

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875 for the united district of Thurlton & Thorpe-next-Haddiscoe; E. Cadge, Loddon, clerk to the Board

Board School, a red brick structure, built in 1875 at a cost of £1,200 for 72 children; average attendance, 61; Mrs. Sarah Ward & Miss Anne Brunton, mistresses

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, January 2005; links updated May 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Thurlton tower mill and postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Thurlton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Thurlton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page