THURNE (or THIRNE) is a parish and village 4 miles from Martham and 4 from Potter Heigham station on the Eastern and midlands railway, 16 miles north-east from Norwich and 11 north-west from Yarmouth, in the Northern division of the county, incorporated hundreds of East and West Flegg, Great Yarmouth county court district, rural deanery of Flegg and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, situate on the navigable rivers Bure and Thurne. The church of St. Edmund the King and Martyr, is an old stone building, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and tower with 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, consolidated with those of Ashby and Oby, joint yearly value £690, with residence and 23 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich, and held since 1873 by the Rev. William Cufade Davie M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge, who resides at Oby. This living was the first preferment held by Dr. Christopher Wordsworth, master of Trinity College, Cambridge, who was rector from 1820 to 1841. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel. At the enclosure the poor had 16 acres awarded to them, let for £12. and 20 acres on which they graze their cattle by paying a yearly sum; the money thus raised is distributed in coals. John Wiseman esq. who is lord of the manor, S. Nightingale of Yarmouth, Mrs. Garrett of Southwood, the trustees of the late Henry Brown, and Simon Greenacre are the principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 660 acres; rateable value £1,366; and the population in 1881 was 213.
In 1845 a National school was built by the rector for 70 children; average attendance, 50; Miss Alice Carrington, mistress
1891 Census Names Index
Thurne Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Thurne drainage mill [Jonathan Neville]
Picture of windpump [Wikipedia]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page