THURNING is a parish of scattered houses, 7½ miles north-west from Aylsham, 5½ north from Reepham station on the East Norfolk branch of the Great Eastern Railway, in the Northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Sparham, and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is a building of flint in the Perpendicular style and has chancel, nave, north aisle and square tower containing 1 bell. The register dates form the year 1715. The living is a rectory, tithe rent charge £370 with 23 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Master and fellows of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge, and held since 1858 by the Rev. John Fenwick B.D. late fellow and tutor of that college, J.P. Norfolk. The Hall, the seat of James Gay esq jun. B.A., D.L., J.P. is a mansion which stands upon rising ground, surrounded by trees: the river Thurn, which flows through the park, expands into a lake within it: the view from the front of the Hall is very fine. Some curious flint hatchet-heads and some Druidical remains have been dug up in the grounds of the Hall. James Gay, jun, esq. owns all the land except one farm, which belongs to Lord Hastings. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and sand. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The area is 1,560A. 2R. 29P.; rateable value, £1,895; in 1881 the population was 170.
The children of this parish attend the school at Briston.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Thurning Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Thurning towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Thurning watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Inn in Thurning [Norfolk Pubs Index]
More on Thurning [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page