1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Thursford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Thursford postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Thursford [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Thursford

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.526.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

THURSFORD is a parish and village with a station on the Eastern & Midlands railway, 5 miles north-east from Fakenham, in the Northern division of the county, North Greenhoe hundred, Walsingham union and county court district, rural deanery of Walsingham and archdeaconry and diocese of Norfolk. The church of St. Andrew is an old stone building in the Early English style, restored in 1862: it consists of chancel, nave and aisles, and an ancient stone tower with 1 bell: it is situated in the park, and approached from the Hall by an avenue of oak: it contains one or two mural tablets of the Guybons, formerly of Thursford Hall, a cenotaph to the memory of Mr. Chad, ambassador to the Court of Berlin, and a handsome font, presented by Mrs. Chad. The register dates from the year 1692. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Great Snoring, joint yearly value £840, with residence at each place, in the gift of St. John's College, Cambridge, and held by the Rev. George Henry Marsh B.D. (formerly fellow of St. John's, and son of the late Right Rev. Herbert Marsh D.D. Bishop of Peterborough), who resides at Great Snoring; the Rev. William Slater Cowdy M.A. of Lincoln College, Oxford, curate, resides at the rectory, a commodious residence in the Elizabethan style, erected in 1652. A cemetery of half an acre was formed in 1877 at the sole expense of Joseph S. Scott-Chad esq. J.P.: it is under the control of a Burial Board of 5 members. The poor had about 20 acres of land allotted o them at the enclosure of the common: they also have two annuities of 20s. each, left them by Messrs. Curzon and Ward; the former also left 10s. for a sermon to be preached on Easter Tuesday annually. The chief owner of the land and lord of the manor is Joseph Stonehewer Scott-Chad esq. J.P. whose seat, Thursford Hall, a fine Elizabethan mansion, is situated at the foot of a sloping lawn, a short distance from the main road leading to Fakenham; it has undergone extensive alteration, a handsome wing has been added, and the exterior restored and modernised: the park, although not extensive, is well wooded. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and gravel. The area is 1,350 acres; rateable value, £2,178; the population in 1881 was 322,

POST OFFICE.—Henry Lee, The Green, receiver. Letters through Dereham, viâ Guist, arrive at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 3.55 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at New Walsingham
National School, Miss Goddard, mistress
Railway Station, John Coppin Smith, master
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, March 2005; links updated October 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Thursford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Thursford postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Thursford [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page