THURTON is a village and parish 4 miles south-west from Buckenham station, 7½ south-east from Norwich amd 3 north-west from Loddon, in the Southern division of the county, Loddon hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Ethelbert is an ancient structure of flint, with thatched roof: it consists of chancel, nave, with a square tower containing 3 bells, and south porch, and has a stained east window. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £75, including 7 acres of glebe, in the gift of Sir Reginald William Proctor-Beauchamp bart. and held since 1881 by the Rev. Robert Thomas Whitmarsh, who is also vicar of Carlton-cum-Ashby, and resides at Ashby. The Rev. George William Daubeny B.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge, is curate. The fuel allotment consists of 6 acres, let at £7; the poor have also 20s. yearly, left by Thomas Spooner in 1630. A quantity of Roman coins were found here in 1707. Sir Reginald W, Proctor-Beauchamp bart. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is light mixed; subsoil, sand and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The are of the parish is 771 acres; rateable value, £1,332; and the population in 1881 was 199.
POST OFFICE.George Leverett, receiver. Letters arrive at 6 a.m.; dispatched at 4.25 daily. Letters through Norwich. The nearest money order & tekegraph office is at Loddon
Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, February, 2009; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Thurton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Red Lion, Thurton [Norfolk Pubs Index]
More on Thurton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page