THUXTON (or THURSTON) is a scattered parish and station on the Wymondham and Dereham railway, 120 miles from London and 5½ south-by-east from East Dereham, in the Southern division of the county, Mitford hundred, Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Paul is a small edifice of flint with stone dressings, in the Early and Later English styles, consisting of chancel and nave, with a low square tower with octagonal top containing 1 bell: here are three brasses, dated 1572, 1578 and 1596, which were recovered and laced in the chancel by the present rector. The registers date from 1538, the first year of their general introduction. The living is a rectory, yearly value £260, with residence, in the gift of F. O. Taylor esq. of Norwich, and held since 1846 by the Rev. Henry Wright M.A. of St. Catharine's College, Cambridge. The Earl of Kimberley, who is lord of the manor of the Hall, and the Rev. Henry Evans Lombe B.A. of Bylaugh Park, of that of the Waces, and Francis Oddin Taylor, esq. are the chief landowners. The soil is mixed, some portions heavy; subsoil, principally clay. The crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 1,102 acres; rateable value £2,020; the population in 1881 was 101.
Letters received through Attleborough. Hingham is the nearest money order & telegraph office, but there are receiving houses in the adjacent parishes of Reymerston & Garvestone
The children attend the Board School at Garvestone
Railway Station, Alfred Page, station master
Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2000; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
More on Thuxton [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information on Thuxton [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page