[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001]
THUXTON, or Thurston, 3½ miles N. of Hingham, is a small parish with 27 houses, 133 souls, and 1,081a. 3r. 37p. of land, belonging to Lord Wodehouse, and Chas. Lombe, Jno. O. Taylor, and Wm. Taylor, Esqrs., and a few smaller proprietors. On Mr. Taylor's farm is one of the finest oaks in the county. The manor of Thuxton Hall belongs to Lord Wodehouse ; and that of Thuxton Waces to C. Lombe, Esq. The Church, dedicated to St. Paul, is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £4 6s. 2d., in the patronage of Jno. O. Taylor, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Hy. Wright, M.A., who built a neat rectory-house in 1850. The tithes are commuted for £260. The Dereham and Fakenham branch of the Norfolk Railway runs through the parish, and has a neat station here, whence four trains are despatched each way daily. Hingham is the post town.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
More on Thuxton [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information on Thuxton [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page