THWAITE ALL SAINTS ia a village and parish 4 miles north from Aylsham station on the East Norfolk branch of the Gt, Eastern railway, and the same distance from North Walsham, in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Ingworth. archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a small building of flint, and consists of nave with a round tower. The register dates from the year 1562. The living is a rectory, the titles of which are commuted at £200, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich, and held since 1877 by the Rev. Newnham George Philpott M.A. Durham. The Earl of Orford is lord of the manor of Somerton, and the Bishop of Norwich lord of the manor of Skeyton in this parish. The soil is light; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 676 acres; rateable value, £1,014; the population in 1881 was 138.
The late Mrs. Lydia Baret erected a schoolroom & also a sunday school house for the teacher attached to the church in 1835, at a cost of £800; the schools educate 70 children; Miss Jane Panting, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July, 2009; links updated January 2011.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
John Dawson, Will, 1796
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Alby with Thwaite Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Thwaite All Saints [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Thwaite St Mary