TIBBENHAM, 5½ miles W. of Long Stratton, and 14 miles S.W. by S. of Norwich, has in its parish 146 houses, 727 souls, and 3,300 acres of land, the property of many owners, the largest of whom is Sir R. J. Buxton, Bart., the lord of the manor of Channonz hall ; but J.. Petre, Esq., is lord of the other manors and lessee of the rectorial tithes, commuted for £782 1s. The Bishop of Norwich is patron of the vicarage, valued in the King's book at £7 6s. 8d., and now enjoyed by the Rev. Thos. Dixon. It has been augmented with £1,000 parliamentary grant, and £380 partly arising from an accumulation of interest on a sum received from Queen Anne's bounty, during the incumbency of the late vicar. These sums, except £180, were laid out in the purchase of 21a. of land in 1831. The vicarial tithes are commuted for £327 5s. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, has a square tower and six bells. The Church land, 40a. 2r. 16p. is let for £43. Ten acres of the poor's land was sold some years ago, and the proceeds applied in removing several poor families to America. About five years ago six almshouses were erected out of surplus funds arising from the church lands, which are occupied by the poor rent free. The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have [each] a chapel here, and there is a good National school in the village. A clothing society for the poor is supported by the contributions to the chief parishioners.
Post Office at Mr. Hy. West's. Letters arrive at 10 a.m., and are despatched at 5 p.m.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
USAF Tibenham, 1943-5
Tibenham early postmill and Mill road postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Tibenham [GENUKI-NFK]