Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
USAF Tibenham, 1943-5
Tibenham early postmill and Mill road postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Local web-site
More on Tibenham [GENUKI-NFK]

Norfolk - Tibenham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 527-528.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

TIBENHAM or (TYBENHAM) is a village and parish 2 miles west from Tivetshall station, and 9 south-east from Attleborough, in the Southern division of the county, Depwade hundred, and union, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Depwade, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, and south aisle, at the end of which is St. Nicholas' chapel, containing brasesnto the ancestors of the Buxton family: the roof and mst of the windows are in the Perpendicular styke: and has a fine square embattled towerm having statues of the Evangelists at each corner as pinnacles, and containing 6 bells: the chancel was restored in 1879, and a parsonage was erected in 1880 at the expense of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, yearly value 324 tithe rent-charge with 21 acres of glebe and house in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1863 by the Rev. Thomas William Thompson M.A. of Pembroke College, Cambridge who is also surrogate. Here is a chapel for Primitive Methodists. A church estate, situated in Winfarthing, now producing 60 yealy, is vested in trustees; six almshouses have been erected out of surplus rents. Here were formerly three guilds, with a common guildhall, which possessed lands, and at the Dissolution were seized by the Crown in 1560, which held them until 1600. The chief landowners are Sir R. J. Buxton bart. M.P. and Mrs. Oetre, who are owners of the manors. The soil and subsoil is, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and hay. The area is 3,253 acres; rateable value, 4,395 10s.; the parish contained in 1881, 629 inhabitants.

Parish Clerk, Joseph Coleman.



POST OFFICE.—Mrs. Maris West, sub-postmistress. Letters through Long Stratton, arrive at 8.30 a.m. & dispatched at 4.30 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at New Buckenham

INSURANCE AGENT.—Royal Farmers' & General, George Westgate

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875; J. Furness, clerk to the board

Board School, a handsome red brick building, built in 187- at a cost of 1,100, for 107 children, average attendance, 100; Henry Beswick, master

 
Thompson Rev. Thomas William M.A. [vicar & surrogate]
Turner George
 
          COMMERCIAL.
Ashfield Mrs. farmer
Adouls John, farmer, Channonz hall
Bernard Lois, farmer
Betts Alfred Burton, farmer, Hill farm
Brewster Henry, farmer
Catchpole Thomas, farmer
Colchester John, farmer
Coleman William, carpenter
Cook James Edward, farmer
Dade Sarah (Mrs.), Boot
Dordery Bale Edmund, farmer
Everett George, blacksmith
Foreman Edward, Greyhound
Foreman William Cook, carpenter
Fox David, grocer
Gurling John, farmner &
Hardy Eliza (Mrs.), farmer
Lester William, farmer
Manser George, shoe maker
Mullinger Robert, farmer
Pearson John Joseph, farmer, Old hall
Pearson Lucy Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Read John, farmer
Self Christopher, farmer
Self Joseph Mitson, farmer
Smith John, farmer
Thrower John, blacksmith
Turner John, farmer
Turner William, tailor
Warren Walter, pork butcher
West Maria (Mrs.), grocer & post office
Westgate George,farmer

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, May 2010.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
USAF Tibenham, 1943-5
Tibenham early postmill and Mill road postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Local web-site
More on Tibenham [GENUKI-NFK]