1891 Census Names Index
1901 Census Names Index
Marriages (1706-1812) [Alan Gresley]
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Tilney All Saints Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More about Tilney All Saints [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
And see Tilney-cum-Islington and Tilney St. Lawrence
And see Marshland St. James

Norfolk - Tilney All Saints

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.528.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

TILNEY ALL SAINTS is a parish and village 1 mile from Clenchwarton station (which is within the parish) on the Midland railway, 5 miles west-south-west from Lynn, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Freebridge Marshland, union of Wisbech, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn Marshland and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a spacious structure built of Barmack stone and a fine specimen of Transitional Norman and later architecture: it consists of chancel, nave and aisles, with a square tower surmounted by a spire and containing 6 bells. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, with Tilney St. Lawrence annexed, joint yearly value £382, with residence and 60 acres of glebe and house in the gift of the Master and fellows of Pembroke College, Cambridge, and held since 1878 by the Rev. Samuel John Phillips M.A. formerly a scholar of that college and late vice-principal of Rossall School. The Wesleyans have a chapel here. The parish charities produce about £25 yearly and church charities for maintaining the fabric and for current expenses produce about $22 per annum. The Islington Lodge Estate, which was reclaimed from the river Ouse in 1821, extends into the parish: it is the property of W. D. Harding esq. Sir W. H. B. ffolkes, bart. M.P., D.L. J.P. Richard Bagge esq. John Lewis Marriott esq. and Watson Failes esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is clay and silt. The chief crops are wheat, beans, oats, peas and roots. The parish contains 2,750 acres of land; rateable value, £5,116; and the population in 1881 was 565.

POST OFFICE.—George Minns, receiver. Letters arrive from Lynn at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 4.40 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Terrington St. John & telegraph office at Terrington St. Clement

Here is a National school for boys & girls with a residence for the master, erected in 1845 at a cost of £500; R. C. Wyatt, master

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 2005; links updated May 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
1901 Census Names Index
Marriages (1706-1812) [Alan Gresley]
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Tilney All Saints Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More about Tilney All Saints [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
And see Tilney-cum-Islington and Tilney St. Lawrence
And see Marshland St. James