TILNEY ST. LAWRENCE is a village and parish 3 miles from Terrington station on the Lynn and Sutton Bridge railway, 6½ miles south-west from Lynn, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Freebridge Marshland, union of Wisbech, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn Marshland and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Lawrence is a stone and brick structure, restored in 1846 at the expense of Miss Mary Mann, of Lynn: it is in the Early English style and consists of chancel, nave and transepts, with tower and spire containing 1 bell and is fitted with stained deal benches. The register dates from the year 1618. The living is a rectory annexed to Tilney All Saints, joint yearly value £382, in the gift of Pembroke College, Cambridge, and held since 1878 by the Rev. Samuel John Phillips M.A. late scholar of that college and late vice-principal of Rossall School, who resides at Tilney All Saints. Stallet's charity of £2 yearly is given to the poor under the direction of the churchwardens. John Aylmer, born at Aylmer Hall in 1521, was chaplain to the Duke of Suffolk and tutor to his daughter, the unfortunate Lady Jane Grey: he was subsequently appointed to the bishopric of London. Edward H. Jackson is lord of the manor. Sir W. H. B. ffolkes, bart. D.L., J.P., M.P. R. Bagge, John Johnson, William Baldock Parsons, J. R. Roofe and Joseph Beckett esqrs. are the principal landowners. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, beans, peas and oats. The area is 3,376 acres; rateable value, £6,124, and the population in 1881 was 722.