Paddy's Home Page
Village Index
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Titchwell archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Titchwell [GENUKI-NFK]

Norfolk - Titchwell

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 528-529.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

TITCHWELL is a parish and village 5 miles west-by-north from Burnham Market railwau station and 21 from Lynn, in the Western division of the county, Smithdon hundred, Docking union, Little Walsingham county court district, Heacham rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich: it is situated near the German ocean and on the coast road from Lynn to Wells. The church of St. Mary is an old building of flint, in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave and porch, with a round Norman tower at the west end surmounted by a short spire of wood covered with lead, with a cross at the top and a crown of thorns below it. The register dates from the year 1558 and there a few entries transcribed as far back as 1464. The living is a rectory, yearly value 413, with a residence in the collegiate style, and 20 acres of glebe, in the gift of Eton College and held since 1859 by the Rev. Edward Seymour Stocker M.A. of the University of Durham, who resides at 32 Trebovir road. South Kensington: the Rev. John Blomfield Whaley is the curate in charge. This parish has the right of sending four boys to the Free Foundation School at Brancaster. There are charities of about 11 yearly value, and 8 acres of land called church land, left for repairing and beautifying the church. At the east end of the village is the shaft of an ancient cross supposed to have been a station on the way to Walsingham Abbey. The lord of the manor are Magdalen College, Oxford; and the chief landowner is William Charles Dodman esq. The soil on the upper side of the parish is of a light chalky nature, and strong bordering on the coast; subsoil, chalk. The area is 1,452 acres of land and 175 of water; rateable value, 2,047; the population in 1881 was 119. In 1786 about 300 of salt marsh were gained from the sea by embankment.


POST OFFICE.— Mrs. Margaret Young, postmistress. Letters received through Lynn, by mail cart, arrive at 8.30 a.m. & are dispatched at 4.20 p.m. Brancaster is the nearest money order & telegraph office
 

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 2011.

Paddy's Home Page
Village Index
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Titchwell archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Titchwell [GENUKI-NFK]