TITCHWELL is a parish and village, overlooking the marshes of Brancaster Bay, 5 miles W. by N. of Burnham Market, comprising 163 inhabitants, 38 houses, and 1,448 acres of land, mostly, with the manor, belonging to Magdalen College, Oxford : but held on lease by L. Thompson, Esq., who has a small freehold here ; and Caius College, Cambridge, and Mr. Martin Dodman have also estates here. In 1786, about 220 acres of salt marsh were embanked from the influx of the tides, which formerly flowed up to the rectory house. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Mary, has a round tower; and the benefice is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £12, in the gift of Eton College, and enjoyed by the Rev. Fdk. Browning, M.A., who has 16a. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £406 13s. in lieu of tithes. The Church Land, 8a. 2r., is let for £16. Jas[.] Dalling, in 1640, left £1 14s. 8d. yearly for distribution of bread to the poor : they also have one-third of Waterson's [sic] charity, noticed with Thornham ; and the parish has the privilege of sending four boys to the Free School at Brancaster.
Paddy's Home Page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Titchwell archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Titchwell [GENUKI-NFK]