1891 Census Names Index
Luce DAWSON widow, Will, 1639
Bastardy Order {Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
White's 1854
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Tittleshall postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Tittleshall Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Tittleshall-cum-Godwick [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Tittleshall-cum-Godwick

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 529.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

TITTLESHALL-cum-GODFWICK is a parish 5 miles north from Dunham station,and 6 south-west from Fakenham, in the Western division of the county, Launditch hundred, Mitford union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Brisley, and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is an ancient Gothic edifice, consisting of chancel, nave, and square tower containing 4 bells: in the chancel are several monuments to the ancestors of the Earl of Leicester: on the left of the communion table is a black and white monument to Sir Edward Coke, Lord Chief Justice of the King's Bench, with his effigy in full length, ob 1634 and behind this is one of Sir Edward's first wife, Bridget, with the effigies of herself and eight children: on the opposite side is a handsome monument to the Earl of Leicester and his son, also a splendid monument to Mrs. Jane Coke, the first wife of the late venerable Earl of Leicester: a memorial window has been placed in the chancel to the Hon. Mrs. Digby, wife of the present rector. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, with that of Wellingham annexed, joint yearly value 947, with residence and 53 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Earl of Leicester and held since 1835 by the Hon. and Rev. Kenelm Henry Digby M.A. of Christ Church, Oxford, honorary canon of Norwich and rural dean. There are two chapels here, one for Primitive Methodists and one for Baptists. $16, the rent of 40 acres, is distributed in coals and 2 7s. from charities for bread. The parish contains 3,364 acres, which nearly all belong to the Earl of Leicester, forming the manors of Greystones or Caley, Coxford, Godwick Hall, Peek Hall and New Hall and part of the manors of Whissonsett and Burghwood Hall. The soil is light loam and clay; subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The rateable value is 3,854; the population in 1881 was 514.

GODWICK, which consists of only one farm, one mile north of Tittleshall, was anciently a separate parish. The church, of which only the tower remains, has been in ruins for between two and three cventuries.


POST OFFICE.— Robert Kerrison, postmaster. Letters from Swaffham through Litcham arrive at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5.35 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Litcham

INSURANCE AGENTS.—County Fire, Hooks Brothers

National School, Miss Alice Rigby, mistress

Infant School, Miss Elizabeth Cocks, mistress

 
Deek Rev. Francis Edmund [curate]
Digby Hon. & Rev. Kenelm Henry M.A. [hon. canon of Norwich & rural dean], Rectory
Forby Miss
Hooks Alfred
Swann Rev. Johnson Fowell B.A. [curate]
          COMMERCIAL.
Betts Marianne (Mrs.), farmer
Branford Womack, farmer, Godwick hall
Burcham James, farmer
Crowe Henry, farmer
Hooks George, builder & contractor
Hooks John, Ostrich, & blacksmith
Hooks Mitchell, wheelwright & carpntr
Kerrison Robert, grocer & draper, & post office
Moore John, baker
Moulton Jas. Water, boot & shoe ma
Payne Robert Bacon, grocer & draper
Riches Edmund, shoe maker
Roberson John, butcher
Sizeland Sarah Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Travis Thomas, farmer, Wicken
Webster Wm. butcher & beer retailer

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, June 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Luce DAWSON widow, Will, 1639
Bastardy Order {Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
White's 1854
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Tittleshall postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Tittleshall Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Tittleshall-cum-Godwick [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page