1891 Census Names Index
Luce DAWSON widow, Will, 1639
Bastardy Order {Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Launditch Hundred
Mitford & Launditch union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Tittleshall postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Tittleshall Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Tittleshall-cum-Godwick [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
And seeGodwick
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Tittleshall-cum-Godwick

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 797-798

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001]

TITTLESHALL-CUM-GODWICK form one parish, with a well built village of the former, pleasantly situated 6 miles S. by W. of Fakenham. The parish contains 615 inhabitants, 124 houses, and 3,360 acres of land, including about 300a. of woods and wastes, nearly all the property of the Earl of Leicester. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Mary, has a splendid marble monument to Sir Edward Coke, with his effigy, erected at a cost of £400. Here are also several other monuments to the Coke family ; one of which has the effigies of Sir Edward's wife and eight children. The late Earl of Leicester was interred here in 1842, and here is a magnificent monument in memory of his first wife, which cost 3,000 guineas, and was executed by Nollekins. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £9 12s. 8d., was consolidated with those of Godwick and Wellingham, in 1630. In 1831 the joint benefices were valued at £871 per annum. The Earl of Leicester is patron, and the Rev. K. H. Digby, incumbent. The tithes of this parish are commuted for £681, and there are 58a. 3r. 8p. of glebe. The Baptists, Independents, and Methodists, have each a chapel here. GODWICK, now only two farms, 1 mile N. of Tittleshall, was formerly a separate parish, but its Church was dilapidated two centuries ago. The Hall, now a farm house, was built by Sir Edwd. Coke. A National school was built some years ago by the rector. The Fuel allotment, 4a., was awarded more than 100 years ago. All residents, except farmers, are allowed to graze their cattle on it, for the yearly payment of 21s. per head. The amount thus received is expended in coals for the poor, who have also £2 2s. as the rent of the Poor's Wood, and the interest of £10, left by Wm. Haylett. A daring and cold-blooded murder was committed, in the middle of the day, on Friday, Nov. 25th, 1853. The unfortunate victim was Lorenz Beha, a watch-maker, and dealer in jewellery, who resided in St. Stephen's Plain, Norwich, and who occasionally travelled in the country to dispose of his goods. About midway between Tittleshall and Wellingham, a person, travelling on the road, discovered a quantity of blood, and observing a trail that led to the ditch on Tittleshall Common, there found the body of the murdered man. The head of the deceased had almost been severed from the body, by a blow at the back of the head, and his face was dreadfully cut and mangled. A hatchet, such as is used for felling timber, found near the place, covered with blood, was no doubt the implement by which the brutal murder had been committed. Several watches and some money is supposed to have been taken out of the pockets of the person murdered ; but his box of valuable jewellery was left untouched. A young man named Wm. Thompson, was shortly after arrested, and now stands committed to take his trial for wilful [sic] murder.

Bacon Eliz. & Son, (Benj.) victs. & blacksmiths, Goldern Wyvern
Cooper Jno. Thos. baker & miller
Crisp Wm. surveyor & drainer
Digby Rev. Kenelam Hy. B.A., Rectory
Dye Jas. blacksmith
Everett Jno. bricklayer
Gunton Geo. wheelwright
Hooks Jno. cooper
Moore Jno. baker
Moulton Mrs. Mary
Payne Jno. saddler
Ramm Lawrence, tailor
Riches Jno. par. clk
Sayers Rev. Robt. B.A. curate
Thurlow Nath. tailor
Butchers.
Betts Jas.
Robinson Jno.
Webster Wm.
Farmers.
Belcham George, Wicken
Betts Mary
Branford Wm.W. Godwick
Forby Eliz.
ForbyJno (&bldr) Godwick
Franklin Jno. T.
Riches Isaac
Rix Thos.
Shoemakers.
Moulton Mark
Thompson Jno.
Shopkeepers.
Bear Jno. (and schoolmaster)
Hotson Robt. W.
——
Carrier
To Norwich, Jas. Best, wed. and sat.; & Lynn, mon. & thur.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated June 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Luce DAWSON widow, Will, 1639
Bastardy Order {Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Launditch Hundred
Mitford & Launditch union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Tittleshall postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Tittleshall Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Tittleshall-cum-Godwick [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andew Rivett]
And seeGodwick
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page