1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Tivetshall St. Margaret Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Tivetshall St. Margaret rowermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Tivetshall St. Margaret [GENUKI-NFK]
and see Tivetshall St Mary
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Tivetshall St. Margaret

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.529.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

TIVETSHALL ST. MARGARET is a village and parish and a junction station for the Waveney Valley line on the Great Eastern Railway, 100 miles from London and 5 north-north-east from Diss, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Diss. union of Depwade, country court district of Harleston, rural deanery of Redenhall, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Margaret is a small edifice of flint with stone dressings, consisting of chancel and nave:   the nave has a beatifully carved oak roof and is sesparated by a handsome Elizabethan screen. The register dates from the year 1673, The living is a rectory, annexed to Tivetshall St. Mary, joint yearly value 960, with 28 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Lord Orford and held since 1874 by the Rev, Henry Symonds M.A. of Hertford College, Oxford, who resides at Tivetshall St. Mary. There is a small property bequeathed to trustees for the maintenance of the church and expenses attendant upon the public worship in lieu of church rates. The Society of Friends have a meeting place; here is a Wesleyan chapel. The fuel allotment of 6 acres produces about 12 yearly. Here are very extensive malting, the property of T. M. Read, esq. of Norwich, whose works are near the railway, with which they are connected by a siding. In this parish is a magnificent oak, measuring about seven yards in circumference. John hotson, esq. who is lord of the manor, the Rev. G. M. Norris and Mrs. Spelman, are the chief landowners. The soil is heavy; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, peas and beans. The area is 1,634 acres; rateable value, 2,830; and the population in 1881 was 339.



Letters through Scole, which is the nearest money order office. There is a PILLAR LETTER BOX near the station, cleared at 5.45 p.m. on week days & 10 a.m. on sundays; & one at the railway station cleared at 5.30 p.m. & sundays at 9.30 a.m.; telegraph office at Pulham Market

Railway Station, John Bescoby Birkett, station master

This parish is included in Tivetshall United School Board district formed in 1875; the children attend the Board School at Tivetshall St. Mary

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated November 2009.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, and 1883 [Genuki-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Tivetshall St. Margaret Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Tivetshall St. Margaret rowermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Tivetshall St. Margaret [GENUKI-NFK]
and see Tivetshall St Mary
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page